Premier League Weekly – Gameweek 6!

Hello and welcome to Premier League Weekly! Today I have match reports from all ten of last weekend’s Premier League matches. Enjoy!

Match Reports

Fulham 1-1 Watford

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored a late equaliser to gain an undeserved point for Fulham in one of the least vicious London rivalries. After only two minutes Andre Gray put high-flying Watford into the lead at Craven Cottage and the Hornets kept the lead deservedly until ten minutes before full time when Mitrovic converted a low cross with his fifth goal this season in only six games.

Burnley 4-0 Bournemouth

Burnley ended their poor run of form with a massively surprising thrashing of a Bournemouth team who have been on fire lately. Five minutes before half time Nathan Ake blocked two shots in a row on his goal line but couldn’t prevent Matej Vydra slotting the third rebound into the net to put Burnley ahead. Only two minutes later a cross from Johann Berg Gudmundsson came in to the Bournemouth box and looped over everyone except Aaron Lennon who was waiting at the back post to score his first goal for the hosts. The Cherries came back at the Northerners in the second half but Joe Hart wouldn’t let anything past him and in the last ten minutes Ashley Barnes scored a brace to turn it into a rout.

Cardiff City 0-5 Manchester City

Manchester City thrashed Cardiff to leapfrog Chelsea into second place in the Premier League table after six games of the season. The first half hour went well for the Bluebirds but in the 32nd minute Sergio Aguero smashed Bernardo Silva’s pass into the bottom right corner from 15 yards out to put the visitors into the lead. Only three minutes later Bernardo Silva looped a header from a tight angle backwards and into the top corner of the Cardiff net to pretty much seal the game for the Blues. With the hosts on the rails, Ilkay Gundogan played a one-two with Raheem Sterling before rifling a rocket into the top right corner of the goal from outside the box. In the second half the pattern of the game was similar with City pummelling Neil Etheridge’s goal. Twenty minutes in Riyad Mahrez tapped a low cross into the net after a wonderful move involving Sane and Gundogan to score his first Manchester City goal. In the last minute the Algerian got his brace with an excellent curling effort into the bottom corner from just inside the penalty area. A very satisfying afternoon for Pep Guardiola after his side’s loss in the Champions League.

Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle United

Newcastle held Crystal Palace to a draw at Selhurst Park on Saturday in a disappointing result for both Roy Hodgson and Rafa Benitez. The away side were on top for large parts of the match as their defence kept Wilfried Zaha extremely quiet. The Eagles’ manager claimed that this was due to him being preoccupied after last week’s claim by him that it would take a defender to break his leg before anyone was sent off for a challenge on him. However, I would have to disagree as surely a professional would be able to get this out of him mind for a big match?

Leicester City 3-1 Huddersfield Town

Leicester comfortably defeated strugglers Huddersfield after the overturned a surprise deficit to win by two goals. After only five minutes Mathias Jorgensen (aka Zanka) put the visitors ahead but the Terriers couldn’t keep the lead when fifteen minutes later they ridiculously put everyone up for a corner and let James Maddison, Jamie Vardy and Kelechi Iheanacho to counter attack. Maddison played it through to Vardy who then squared it to Iheanacho, and the Nigerian finished well into the bottom left corner to equalise for the hosts. With twenty minutes of the second half gone Maddison stood over a free kick and then whipped it with the inside of his foot into the top left corner to put the Foxes ahead. Ten minutes later Iheanacho played Vardy in who then chipped the ball over Jonas Lossl into the back of the net to win the match for the Foxes.

Liverpool 3-0 Southampton

A blistering first half made sure that Liverpool eased past Southampton to make it six wins out the first six games and become outright leaders of the Premier League. After only ten minutes a low cross came off Wesley Hoedt’s shin and then into the back of the Saints’ net, which was a very lucky break for the home team. However, in the 21st minute Joel Matip headed in a corner to double their lead and then they sealed the match just before half time when Mohamed Salah scored his third goal of the season. The second half was uneventful and the Reds ran out easy winners. It was a poor performance by the visitors, as they didn’t really put pressure on the Liverpool defence and everything they did was very half-hearted.

Manchester United 1-1 Wolves

Man United’s shaky start to the season continued with a disappointing home draw against Wolves. It all looked good for the hosts at half time after Fred had put them into the lead after 18 minutes, with the goal coming after a fantastic cushioned pass by Paul Pogba. However, eight minutes into the second half Wolves equalised when Joao Mourinho curled a shot into the top corner of United’s net. The Red Devils were frustrated by the visitors in the second half and it was team from the Midlands that probably deserved to win the game as they missed a few very good opportunities in that second half.

Brighton & Hove Albion 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham earned a deserved three points on the South Coast against Brighton as they got their season back under way again after two successive losses. With three minutes to play before half time a Kieran Trippier free kick hit Glenn Murray’s hand in the wall and a penalty was awarded, which was duly dispatched by Harry Kane. With Brighton piling on the pressure, Spurs doubled their lead with 15 minutes to go when Erik Lámela continued his good recent form to score. Anthony Knockaert pulled a goal back in added time but it was too little too late for the Seagulls.

West Ham United 0-0 Chelsea

Chelsea dropped their first two points of the season after being held to a 0-0 draw at the London Stadium by West Ham. The Hammers played excellently and with about ten minutes to go Andriy Yarmolenko missed a sitter with his head from six yards out as he somehow put it wide of the stranded Kepa’s goal. Eden Hazard was kept extremely quiet in the game by a wonderful Pablo Zabaleta.

Arsenal 2-0 Everton

Arsenal scored two goals in three second half minutes to ensure they defeated Everton at the Emirates on Sunday afternoon. Ten minutes into the second half Alexandre Lacazette put the Gunners ahead and then three minutes later his strike partner Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang doubled the hosts’ lead. The two goal lead turned out to be enough for Arsenal to pick up all three points.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s